Natural Dye Workshop with Samorn Sanixay
May 4 @ 10:00 am - 4:30 pm £199
Discover how to dye and print with foraged flowers, leaves from your neighbourhood and healing herbs, food scraps from your kitchen and household items.
In this workshop you will learn how to print and bundle eco-dye and print with plants, food and other natural materials.
We will go for a short walk around the Sydney Community College Grounds and Rozelle streets to find local plant material that we can use to eco print our silk and fabrics.
Feel free to bring your own foraged materials, from your garden and neighbourhood, to use in class.
You will also get to take home all dyes you make in class!
This workshop will introduce you to learn basics of natural dyeing, easy mordants, and how you can set this up at home
In this practical beginners course you will explore a variety of natural hand dyeing and colour application techniques and create your own fabulous effects on silk fabric using natural methods and materials.
Create colour with food, healing herbs, teas, scraps for composting, foraged flowers, fallen and fresh leaves!
Plus learn how we can alter colour with different items from around your home and kitchen cupboard.
Use food waste to create earthy pinks, golden oranges, soft blues, sunshine yellows, light browns, smokey greys.
A palette of possibilities!
This workshop will incorporate:
- How to gather and reuse materials in your home for sustainable living and zero-waste dyeing
- Gathered flowers, leaves and food waste to make dye vats in array of colours
- Use different foods and items to alter tones and shades of colour
- How to mordant your fabrics (pretreat for dyeing) with food, not chemicals
This is a beginners course, so no previous design, dye or printing experience required.
During this Natural Dye Workshop the intention is that the following topics will be covered, but not necessarily in the order given. Due to the variable nature of Adult Education classes, parts of the curriculum may be adapted to suit the needs of the class.
- Appreciate the many sources and properties of natural materials to create dyes
- Preparation and use of natural dyes
- Learn how to create different dyeing effects
- Learn some basic eco printing techniques and effects
- Learn some basic compost dyeing techniques and effects
- Handwoven silk scarf (rrp $90 each)
- Unbleached cotton for colour samples
- Organic Merino wool piece to use in class
- Linen table runner to use during class ( rrp $75)
- Unbleached cotton tote bag to use and dye in class
- Seasonal, natural materials (berries, flowers & plants) all home grown by Samorn
- Digital Notes
Please bring to class
- Any garment to dye (apart from your scarf)… NATURAL FABRICS ONLY!
- Pre washed natural fabric to dye (1-2m)
- 4-5 empty jars to take home your dyes
- Your own local berries, food scraps or flowers you wish to use for dyeing
- An old shirt or apron to wear while dyeing
- Lunch, water and snacks – it is a long day! There is a great park accross the street to have lunch in on a sunny day too.
- Please wear closed-in shoes and old clothes
- All dyeing materials are natural and non-toxic – but may cause allergies. Please contact us to discuss if you are allergic to any plants, flowers, vegetables or berries
- You will be required to share any materials provided, and any that you bring with the class