Knitting for Beginners
April 29 @ 6:00 pm - May 28 @ 8:30 pm £159
Knitting is fun, relaxing and versatile!
Learn this ancient craft, and discover the exciting range of possibilities available to the modern knitter. Once you have learned the basics, it is possible to create beautiful and practical wearables and home wares for yourself, your family and friends.
In this Knitting for Beginners Class, the broad topics outlined below will be covered, but not necessarily in the exact order.
You will learn the basics of knitting techniques and work on a particular project of your choosing. Each student’s progress in a project will be discussed at the start of a teaching session and demonstrations of stitches and techniques will be given throughout the course.
- Learn basic knitting stitches.
- Learn about different yarns and their uses.
- Discuss online resources.
- Learn how to change to a new ball of yarn.
- Learn how to read a simple pattern.
- Understanding importance of tension.
- Discuss basic finishing techniques.
- Using learnt skills, begin or create a simple project. Participants will have the option of knitting either a simple scarf, or a beanie.
- Learn how to do basics of knitting:
- Knit, purl, casting on and off, simple increase and decrease.
- Learn to read simple patterns.
- Apply techniques learnt to create or begin a simple knitting project.
- Please bring the following to the first class.
- One pair of 4 mm needles 25 – 30 cm long
- One ball of 8 ply yarn (preferably a mid to light colour)
- Pen and paper for taking notes
- In the first week we will discuss possible projects and materials required
Please wear closed in shoes.